Consultation on Changing the Pupil Admission Numbers (PAN)
An Inspire Education Trust school
13th December 2019
Inspire Education Trust would like to propose reducing the Pupil Admission Numbers (PAN) at Stockingford Academy with effect from 1 September 2021.
Although the Regulations and Code of Practice relating to school admissions no longer require an admissions authority to consult when maintaining or increasing a school’s PAN, there remains a requirement to consult when the proposal is to reduce a PAN. Inspire Education Trust as the admissions authority is seeking comments on the proposed change.
Inspire Education Trust proposes to reduce the published admission number of Stockingford Academy from 120 to 90 with effect from 1 September 2021.
Factors considered by Inspire Education Trust in deciding to consult on this proposal are;
- Birth rates are steadily declining throughout the Nuneaton West area until 2023/24 after which there is no data available
- All schools have been issued a statement by the local authority for the years 2019-2024, which explains that for the area of Nuneaton where Stockingford Academy is there spare capacity of school places ranging from 13% to 14% throughout this period.
- Stockingford Academy currently has 29% spare capacity of places throughout the school with 52% spare capacity in Reception.
- There is little new housing planned in the area
Some of the advantages to the school in the reduction of a PAN are:-
- Stability in class sizes in all year groups
- Clarity around staffing needs
It should be noted that a reduction in PAN will only be effective from Reception classes and will not impact the other year groups currently within the school.
After careful consideration for all of the reasons noted above the Trust Board, The Local Governing Board and the Headteacher are in favour of the proposal.
How to Respond
This consultation will run from 13th December to 31st January 2020 and you are invited to submit comments in writing about the proposal above to the Chair of Inspire Education Trust, Reverend Malcolm Tyler on email below
Written response to be addressed to:
Reverend Malcolm Tyler
Chair of Inspire Education Trust
Hearsall Community Primary School
Following the consultation period Inspire Education Trust will consider any comments received and how to proceed. Admission arrangements for 2021 will be determined by February/March 2020.